Water Craft is the beautiful bi-monthly magazine that has much to offer fans of classic yachts and traditional boats as well as covering all aspects of boatbuilding from boat design to building individual boats.
The magazine is full of ideas for the practical boat owner and provides real inspiration for amateur boatbuilding, including sources of boat plans, but the professional boatbuilder is not forgotten: Water Craft regularly reports on new techniques, tools, materials and equipment and every issue includes informed and impartial boat tests of craft from canoes and dayboats through to cruising yachts.
In the trial issue
Chris Perkins explains how his
enthusiasm for the Scottish Coastal Rowing Project resulted in 5 weeks building the prototype and a craving for sponge puddings; Designer Paul Gartside continues his series with complete plans for a
traditional round-stern workboat; and in The Workshop,
Nick Coppin makes adjustable footrests for his sail and oar dinghy and
Adrian Noyes assembles a professional’s steambox.
Also featured in this issue, New Zealand designer
John Welsford takes inspiration for his capable ocean-going dayboat from a west country working boat; Continuing his series on
designing an environmentally-friendly motor boat, naval architect Ian Nicolson develops the mid-section; and looking forward to a whole new boating season, checkout the
latest events coming up in 2010.
• DZ: On Y Va! – Kathy Mansfield looks forward to the great French Festival of Traditional Sail in Douarnenez…
• DUTCH BOAT ON THE BROADS – How Jo and Truus Houben built their American trailer sailer in Maastricht and took her to Norfolk…
• BOATS FOR THE BROADS – Designer Andrew Wolstenholme explains how craft evolved to sail these unique inland waterways...
• HUNTER’S YARD – A 30s boatyard still hiring out 30s yachts and boats; Neville Khambatta describes a Broadland gem…
• BUILD YOUR OWN FLATTIE SKIFF – Designer Paul Gartside sends full plans for an ubiquitous American all-rounder …
• HARRIER: In Austria, Detlef Duecker builds a strip-plank lightweight camping cruiser for sailing the Venice lagoon…
• THE DIGITAL BOATSHOP: Simon Holman creates flatpack trestles with CNC-cutting files …
• AND… Jean-Yves Poirier on vacuum bagging for home builders; Steve Goodchild’s strip plank tips; Colin Henwood on buying boat timber; Karl Stambaugh of CMD Boats introduces his Grand Design trailer sailer which inspired the Houbens; plus all our regular features. Douarnenez encore • Dutch Boat on the Broads • Designing Boats for the Broads • Hunter’s Yard • Gartside plans: Flattie Skiff • Colin Henwood: Buying Boat Timber • Building the Lili 10: Vacuum Bagging • Building Tony Dias Harrier • Strip Plank Techniques • Grand Designs: Karl Stambaugh’s CMD Boats Trailer Sailer 24