The Cheshire-based Congleton Chronicle is one of the handful of independent newspapers left in England. It was launched in 1893 by Robert Head; the first edition of the “Congleton Chronicle and Mid Cheshire Journal”, appeared on Saturday, 14th October, 1893, price three-halfpence. Since then, the paper has only had three other editors: Robert’s son Lionel, the late John Condliffe, then his son Jeremy, the current editor and MD. John led a management buy-out in 1988.
The paper currently distributes 16,000 copies across south Cheshire and north Staffordshire, printing its flagship Congleton title as well as Biddulph and Sandbach editions. The paper is often described as a “proper local newspaper”, crammed full of local news, its standing in the community reflected by its four pages of letters every week.