Warners Group Publications
Archived since Issue 183 Bi-monthly
Traction caters for those interested in the fascinating development of classic diesel and electric traction on the railways of mainland Britain, Ireland, continental Europe and the parts of the world where British-built locomotives have operated.
Within the pages of Traction you will find a wide variety of articles written by professional railwaymen, railway historians, photographers and enthusiasts.
You’ll also find a ‘Traction Modelling’ section of the magazine which caters for readers who have an interest in modelling the railway in the era of the classic diesel and electric motive power.
Traction is published every two months.
- We start this issue with a look around the Doncaster area in the 1980s venturing out into the surrounding countryside in search of new locations for photos of passenger trains.
- We begin a major series of articles about a railwayman’s career working on the Western Region and especially at Bristol Bath Road depot.
- There is an article about the rundown of CO2 traffic in the 1990s and an accompanying feature of the tank wagons used.
- Several hundred British railway enthusiasts crossed the North Sea in June 1986 to take part in the EM2 farewell rail tour in the Netherlands.
- The former Woodhead Line electrics had found a new home in that country hauling heavy long distance expresses.
- We conclude our series of articles about the use of ‘Deltic’ D 9000 by Virgin Cross Country in 1998 and 1999.
- A little known interlude in the history of British diesel multiple units is covered in the article about the use of ACV railcars on the Stanmore and St Albans branches in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The South Western main line between Winchester and Southampton is the focus of this issue’s photo feature.
- In TRACTION MODELLING our featured layout, Jeffrey Lane, is based in the West Midlands. There are lots of scenic details, a TMD and plenty of operational action.
Subjects: Hobby, Modelling, Railways, Trains, Transport
Quarterly (recurring) $7.99
Includes web, iOS and Android access via Exact Editions apps.
Full refund within 30 days if you're not completely satisfied.
Please note: you are buying an online subscription - we don't send printed copies through the post.
- First Issue: Issue 183
- Latest Issue: Issue 275
- Issue Count: 93
- Published: Bi-monthly